Giving thanks to Thanksgiving with great shopping finds
Can you believe it’s already Thanksgiving? I’ve noticed the colours changing on the trees in my neighbourhood. To be honest, I love this time of year – it’s getting cool, but not cold, so I’m still not wearing socks. And all the festive fall stuff is in the stores. The city is also full of great activities, like the following:
TORONTO PUMPKIN FEST: Taking place at Downsview Park, the great Pumpkinfest takes place this holiday weekend. We’re talking three days with great food, vendors, entertainment and loads of pumpkins, of course – and one of the biggest inflatable pumpkins around! There’s a costume contest, pumpkin carving contest and a food truck frenzy. There’s also a kiddie midway and an inflatable corn maze along with other great things happening. Parking and admission is free! Check out the website for more details.
– Pumpkinfest Toronto 2019, Oct. 12-14, Downsview Park, 35 Carl Hall Rd., 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Pumpkinfesttoronto.com. #BigPumpkinInThe6th.
-Han Solo Carbonite Roaster from Le Creuset
LE CREUSET DOES STAR WARS: Two iconic brands have melded together for the first time to create a limited edition line of Star Wars-themed cookware. The set captures the colourful personalities and cultures of the Star Wars galaxy and the fun, thoughtfully crafted series offers something for everyone – from young Padawan learners to Master Jedi chefs – all on Le Creuset cookware. I personally like the Han Solo Carbonite Roaster, which shows the beloved smuggler suspended in carbonite. This is a limited series so once they’re gone, they’re gone!
– Check out LeCreuset.ca for pre-orders, and for sale starting Nov. 1.
SEPHORA IN THE HEARTLAND: Just recently, Sephora Canada expanded its presence in the Ontario beauty community by opening a new location in Heartland Town Centre, Mississauga. Boasting over 4,270 square feet of modern design, the retailer offers everything from coveted beauty brands such as Fenty Beauty by Rihanna, Milk Makeup, Mac Cosmetics, Kiehl’s, Briogeo, and Sephora Collection to a customized array of one-of-a-kind services at the beauty studio, including makeup and skincare minis, full face applications, a brow bar and more.
– Sephora Canada, Heartland Town Centre, 6075 Mavis Rd., Mississauga, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sunday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sephora.ca.
-Cadillac for kids at Winners
– Star Wars drones at Winners
HOLIDAY SHOPPING: Every week I go hunting for deals at my regular shopping stops – Winners, HomeSense, Marshalls. Lately, they’ve been rocking the best Halloween costumes for kids – many are three-dimensional. I’ve also noticed they’re starting to stock up on the holiday gifts. Two stood out – a small Cadillac (which I’m seriously thinking of purchasing for my cats, ha ha!) and really neat and unusual gift items like the Star Wars high-performance drones (another consideration for the cats – except they’d probably destroy my home chasing them down). I know it’s not quite Halloween but I, for one, am looking forward to holiday shopping! (#Offlineshopping.)
– Hollywood Tickle Trunk Costume and Props
HOLLYWOOD TICKLE TRUNK COSTUME AND PROPS: Speaking of the spook season, it was a dark and dreary day when driving through the rain in Mississauga recently I saw a sign up on a lamppost: Halloween sale. The sign was a bit bedraggled because of the rain, but I followed it, and found myself in a shop literally crammed with colour and chaos and magic. Hollywood Tickle Trunk specializes in costumes rentals, props, decor and events – and judging by the amount of stuff I saw, the company has a costume for everyone and every occasion. I noticed quite a few Storm Troopers available, and a few Darth Vaders (very well detailed) and other movie character costumes for both kids and adults. Loved the superheroes! I saw lots of period costumes, hats, masks and more – there’s also plenty of vintage clothing up for sale. The company specializes in makeup (they are in the theatre biz) and even do themed weddings. It’s pretty full, so take your time when you visit, but it’s also lots of fun. The company has been around for decades.
– Hollywood Tickle Trunk Costume and Props, 5596A Ambler Dr. (off Matheson Blvd., east of Dixie Rd.), 905-212-7772, Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Sunday by appointment. Hollywoodtickletrunk.ca.
DESIGNER SHOE WAREOUSE SALE: Taking place at the International Centre today to Monday, this special sale offers up to 80% off more than 30,000 pairs of designer shoes – all new styles – from name brands that include Naturalizer, Vince Camuto, Cole Hann, Sam Edelman and many more. Check the website to get on their VIP Day (Thursday.)
– Designer Shoe Warehouse Sale, Oct. 10-14, International Centre, 6900 Airport Rd., Hall 1, Mississauga, Thursday (VIP Day), 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Designershoesale.ca
PUMA WAREHOUSE SALE: Since you’re in the same location, pop into the famous PUMA Warehouse Sale, where you can save up to 80% off a variety of PUMA apparel for the whole family, including footwear, clothing, accessories and more.
– PUMA Warehouse Sale, Oct. 10-13, International Centre, 6900 Airport Rd., Hall 6, Thursday-Friday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sunday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
THANKSGIVING WINTER PARKA SALE: Baby, it’s going to get cold soon, so you may want to check out this special Thanksgiving Winter Parka Sale, taking place in Thornhill today to Sunday. Here’s your chance to save up to 50% off a variety of coats, jackets, sneakers, sunglasses and men’s and women’s coats in all sizes. Name brands include Canada Goose, Moose Knuckles, Mackage, Vegan Jackets, Arctic North and many more.
– Thanksgiving Winter Parka Sale, Oct. 10-13, Le Parc, 8432 Leslie St., Thornhill, Thursday-Friday, 11 a.m. to midnight, Saturday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Sunday, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thesamplesaleguys.com.