Top 10 sports news of the day
Eenadu India 2018-08-08 23:55:00
Hyderabad: With plenty of sporting actions taking place around the world, here are top 10 sports news of the day:1) India tour of England: Batsmen the key as India look to reverse fortunes at Lord's
- The Indian cricket team would expect its floundering batsmen to take more responsibility in pursuit of a series-levelling victory in the second Test against England, starting on Thursday at the Lord's.
- Hosts Sri Lanka finall managed to register a win in the five-match ODI series as they defeated South Africa by 3 runs in a thrilling 4th ODI, which was cut short due to rain. However, the win won't matter much for SL as they have lost the series by losing the first three games of the series.
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has invited the Nepali U-19 team for One Day series next month. The series is scheduled to be held from September 9 to September 20.
- Pacer Mohammed Siraj bagged his maiden 10-wicket haul as India A beat South Africa A by a comprehensive innings and 30 runs after stiff resistance from the middle order on the final day of the first ‘Test’.
- Pakistan batsman Shahid Afridi has pulled out of the upcoming 2018 Caribbean Premier League (CPL) due to a knee injury.
- South African batsman Quinton de Kock, who has recently been elevated to the position of captain for the last two ODIs of the ongoing five-match series against Sri Lanka, has withdrawn from the Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club deal.
- Australian batsman Glenn Maxwell, who is recovering from a shoulder injury, has said that he is hoping to get selected for the upcoming two-match Test series against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- Real Madrid continued life without former star and five-time Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo with a pre-season International Champions Cup win over Serie A side AS Roma.
- Bajrang Punia, the most outstanding Indian wrestler this season with three gold medals, says that he has learnt from his mentor Yogeshwar Dutt that conquering big names is the only way to earn a big name.
10) Ex-400m world champion dies in accident
- Former 400m hurdles world champion Nicholas Bett of Kenya died in a car accident on Tuesday. He was 28.