Today in Historical calendars: Historical Events : 9th April; 2018
April 9 is the 99th day of the year (100th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. This date is slightly more likely to fall on a Monday, Thursday or Saturday (58 in 400 years each) than on Tuesday or Wednesday (57), and slightly less likely to occur on a Friday or Sunday (56).
- 9 April 1954 India reports only 43% of population speaks 15 recognized languages, noting 720 dialects, 23 tribal tongues.
- Siege of Rome: The Byzantine general Belisarius receives his promised reinforcements, 1,600 cavalry, mostly of Hunnic or Slavic origin and expert bowmen. He starts, despite shortages, raids against the Gothic camps and Vitiges is forced into a stalemate.- Events 9 April 537 (1481 years ago)
- American Civil War: Robert E. Lee surrenders the Army of Northern Virginia (26,765 troops) to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia, effectively ending the war. - Events 9 April 1865 (153 years ago)
- The Journey of Reconciliation, the first interracial Freedom Ride begins through the upper South in violation of Jim Crow laws. The riders wanted enforcement of the United States Supreme Court's 1946 Irene Morgan decision that banned racial segregation in interstate travel.- Events 9 April 1947 (71 years ago)
- Byzantine Emperor Basiliscus issues a circular letter (Enkyklikon) to the bishops of his empire, supporting the Monophysite christological position. - Events 9 April 475 (1543 years ago)
- India, Pakistan, Bangladesh reach pact to exchange prisoners of 1971 war in New Delhi. Events 9 April 1974
- 9 April 1986, First University in India devoted to hygiene established at Vijaywada.